Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Sixth Post: War and Peace

Well, it's been a long time since I last typed something on here. And in case there's anybody who was waiting for all these weeks to see a post about whatever I said I'd make a post about, I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be typing about that.

I just looked at the last post and it seems that I said I'd be talking about the Big Three T.V. channels that are meant for kids, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, and that one T.V. show called Phineas & Ferb.

I'll make it quick:

Big Three: They're all terrible. All of them. I really like Disney's movies but I've never liked the channel. And Hilary Duff's gone, gosh darn it. She was the only good thing about it (except for maybe The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, that was a pretty good show). I hear she had a kid, though. And I guess that if an actor or actress is on a Disney show for too long, they might go crazy. Nickelodeon used to be alright, pretty good actually. Spongebob is the greatest animated show of my generation but they really should just cancel it. I'd much rather just watch reruns than anything new. And Cartoon Network, oh how I despair for it. It used to be the greatest kid's channel ever. Now look what's happened to it. The only good show on it is Regular Show. I could go on this whole Juvenalian rant about how much the channel's deteriorated since its Platinum Age but I won't. Now I'm not saying that every show from that age was terrific (I hated I Am Weasel and just saw a rerun realized that I still hate it) and I'm not saying that things can't get better, but seriously, Cartoon Network is just terrible in its current state. Good thing they're playing old Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy episodes again. E, E 'n' E is my second-favorite cartoon after Spongebob.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie: It was alright. It could have been a lot better, though. I mean, really. The greatest cartoon of this generation and they couldn't have thought of a better story? I was really confused about how everyone was calling Spongebob a kid. He's not a kid. Everyone knows that he's an adult. Seriously. And that part with David Hasselhoff was crazy. I'm not criticizing Hasselhoff, though. I read that he only took the role of himself because his granddaughter or someone like the show. What a nice guy, I thought. No, sir, I am criticizing the writers. Why would they make a 50-year-old guy do something like that?

Phineas & Ferb: Most overrated show on Disney ever. Because I have no life, I read reviews written by adults who are like, "Oh, it's so awesome, it's like the new Spongebob", and I'm like, "What?!?!?!" I must admit that the writers seem to know what they are doing because of the way the three story lines converge at the end. And I must admit that there is one thing that's good about the show and that's the story line with Perry the Platypus and Dr. Doofenshmirtz. But seriously, the show seems like a mix of Dexter's Laboratory (a Platinum Age Cartoon Network show) and Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy. Yeah, whatever man.

And some other things:

John Carter: Gosh darn it. The reason I started up this blog again was because of my enthusiasm for this movie and now I hear that a Disney executive resigned because it didn't make back it's budget? Man, I wanted to see the sequel but I guess they're not going to make one.

War and Peace: So I've been commencing a lot of classics lately. I just always start classics and never finish them because most of them are so boring. Now, however, I've decided that I shall finish them all or else. So I've started ones like Nostromo, The Voyage Out, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Virginian, The Count of Monte Cristo (alright, I admit that I actually started reading that over a year ago and am only about 230 pages in), and War and Peace. I guess War and Peace is alright. It's just that none of the characters are likable. They all think that they're all that when they're really just annoying, especially Anna Pavlovna. She's always like, "Oh no, Napoleon Bonaparte took over Italy and Emperor Alexander has to save Europe." Maybe they'll become less annoying over the rest of the book. And they reminded me of Stranger in a Strange Land. That book has these characters who think they're all that. I especially dislike Ben Caxton. He uses a metaphor in almost every other sentence like a total jerk. And I think that it was really pretentious of the publisher (not Heinlein, because authors usually don't have influence over marketing) to call the book "The Most Famous Science Fiction Novel Ever Written." Seriously? I don't know about everyone else but that would arguably go to something written by Mary Shelley, Jules Verne, or H.G. Wells. I know that I heard of Frankenstein, 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas, and The Time Machine long before I ever heard of Stranger in a Strange Land, which I'm still reading. Yeah, I don't really read very quickly and don't have much time to read and don't feel like reading when I do. It's strange.

So yeah, that's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment